Rawa fry Bombil/Bombay duck fish fry with semolina is a famous Maharashtrian food. Different part of India has so many recipes with this fish Bombay duck. Many Indian communities use a dried version of this fish for their recipes. This fish is very tasty and it has only center bone but that’s also very soft and easy to eat. So it’s a good fish option for kids who have just started eating fish. So many types of spicy curry can be made with this fish. But crispy fried Bombay duck is the favorite one of my kid. So, I am sharing this fish fry recipe for your kids, hope they will like it too as a snack and an adult can also enjoy this recipe with dinks as an appetizer.
Why the dish called “Bombay duck” or “Bombil”?
There is a story behind the dish name of Bombay duck. And Bombil is another name of the fish Bombay Duck. Bombay is a city of Maharashtra. This city is known to us as ‘MUMBAI’. The old name of Mumbai was Bombay. in this busy city railway used to play an important role even nowadays also. Mumbai is well connected by its railway system. Our story also started with this railway. In the year 1800 to 1900, Bombay/Mumbai railway was the only means to deliver posted letters and transport foods to other cities of India. And the story is this that this sea fish also transported by the Bombay railway along with Letters. Thus people in India named the fish as Bombay duck. The word duck means letter in the native language in India. Therefore the word duck used here to mean post letters, not a bird.
And the other rumor story is popular in Bangladesh about this fish is when British Man Robart Clive tastes the fish, he liked the pungent taste of the fish and decided to send a dried version of it to the London through Indian mail along with postcard and letters. For this reason, the Fish named as “Bombay Duck”.May both the story have no logic. But it’s true and I believe it’s a rumor which exists among us till now and hopes it will exist after us too.
Why I name the dish ‘Rawa Fry’?
‘RAWA’ means semolina in English. I coated all the fish in roasted semolina/Rawa and then deep fry all. Because of it, I named the dish Rawa fry Bombil.
What to join our blog through social networks contact us on Facebook, Google+. Instagram, Twitter
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 Big Bombil/Bombay duck
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger crushed
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Crushed
- 1/2 Tsp Green chili paste Deseeded chilli
- 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp White vinegar
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil To deep fry the fish
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- Coating for The Fish
- 1 Big Egg
- 1/2 Cup White flour (Maida)
- 1/2 Cup Semolina (suji/ Semolina (suji/ Rawa))
- Clean the Bombay duck / Bombil Fish.
- Fillet the fish.
- Marinate the Fish for 20 minutes with Pinch of salt, black pepper, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Put a wok/kadai on gas oven make it hot, then put Semolina/ Rawa on it and dry roast it until the raw smell of semolina goes.
- Then keep the semolina aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Beat the Egg with a pinch of salt in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Take the white Flour in a separate bowl.
- Now remove the fish fillet from marination and coated with white flour.
- Then Dip into the Egg for 2nd coating.
- Take out The Fish fillets form egg and again coated with semolina/Rawa.
- Take a Kadai /wok with 1 cup vegetable oil and heat it on gas flame.
- Once the oil is hot enough, put the Fish Fillets into oil and fry for maximum 7 minutes.
- Then take out the Fried Fish Fillets from oil and serve with any sauce you like and lemon wedges
Always deep fry kind of snack dish fry in medium to low heat to make the dish crispier from outside and softer from the inside and to avoid burning the snack.
And Never add salt to the fish coating then after few minutes of frying fish will be soggy.you can sprinkle salt from the top of the fried fish as a seasoning.
To know the recipe for
Shrimp Tempura Recipe Japanese way
My valuable visitors, you can follow my website recipes and updates also on many social networks like Facebook, Google+. Instagram, Twitter
DO YOU LIKE THIS RAWA FRY BOMBIL/BOMBAY DUCK FISH FRY RECIPE? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENT BOX