Ask any Bengali, what is your favourite fish recipe? every Bengali will tell you Hilsa Fish is their most favourite recipe and Sorshe Ilish and Ilish Paturi recipe is their hot favourite fish recipes. This is my grand mom’s recipe. I learned this recipe from my mother and she learned this recipe from her mother. And I guess My grandmom also learned this recipe from her mom. Because of it, I call this recipe is a traditional recipe which is passing on from one generation to the other generation.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
This Ilish Paturi recipe is a traditional recipe but every Bengali family Have their own variations
I saw many times many Bengalese cooks this same recipe with their own process and ingredients. But the main ingredients are every time the same in every Ilish Paturi recipe. The main ingredients of this recipe are the Hisha fish (Ilish), Coconut Paste, Mustard paste and banana leaf. Some people love to make Insh Paturi in a steamer and some others are love to do Paturi in a frying pan. My mom makes this recipe in a frying pan.
Mom used to coat the fish in a wet spice mixture and wrapped the fish in a banana leaf. And she fried the fish wrapped in banana leaf with a very little oil. As she never uses water in this recipe, after cooking the fish looks so dry and the texture of the fish looks like a fried fish. Though the fish looks dry if you cook it yourself and eat this dish with a bowl of white steamed rice I am sure you will fall in love with this tasty dish. IF YOU ARE A FISH LOVER THIS RECIPE IS FOR YOU. The smoked banana leaf creates a special taste to this dish. I always cook the recipe whenever I find a Hilsha/Ilish fish in the nearest fish market.
What is “PATURI”?
The simple meaning of Paturi is wrapped in a leaf; Stuffed any ingredient in any leaf is called Paturi. Like if you wrapped chicken pieces in a banana or any other fragrant leaf will be called Chicken/Murg Paturi. I am making the Paturi with the banana leaf. But if you do not find banana leaf you can use Tarro leaf to do the same recipe. Tarro leaf also tastes good in this recipe. BUT REMEMBER NEVER EAT THE BANNA OR ANY OTHER LEAF WRAPPER JUST TAKE THE INSIDE STUFFING AFTER COOKING.
Today I am doing this recipe with Hilsa fish/Ilish Mach but in Bengal, people make Paturi with Prawns and other fishes also. Even Bengalese make the vegetarian version of Paturi also. They make vegetarian panner /Cottage cheese Paturi. They wrapped the grated paneer spiced up with some ginger-garlic Paste/chopped and other dry spices. And sometimes they steamed the Panner in a steamer which they called Bhapa or steamed panner/Chenna and sometimes they fry the Paturi like today I am doing. This recipe is not quick to make but its ingredients are so simple. My recommendation is to eat the dish only with steam white rice. Steamed white rice always complement any fish taste.
THOUGH THIS RECIPE TATE AWESOME WITH HILSA/ILISH FISH. BUT I JUST WANT TO SAY IF YOU DO NOT FIND ANY HILSA FISH USE ANY SEA FISH OR SWEET WATER FISH FOR THIS RECIPE. THE CHOICE OF THE FISH UPTO YOU. BUT MAKE FISH WITH THE SAME SPICES I USED TO GET THE PATURI TASTE.
IF YOU ARE USING SEA WATER FISH MARINATE THE FIS JUST ONE NIGHT BEFORE COOKING WITH SOME LEMON JUICE AND SALT. SO THE SALTY EXTRA FISHY SMELL OF THE SEA FISH WILL BE GONE.
You may like another Hilsa fish recipe Bengali Bhapa Ilish Recipe CLICK HERE to know the recipe.
Make the recipe at your kitchen and let me know your experience in the comment box below or you can follow the Blog on Facebook, Google+. Instagram,
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 Peice of Hilsa fish/ Ilish Mach
- 1/2 Cup Freshly grated coconut
- 2 Tbsp full Black mustard seeds soaked in hot water before make a mustured paste or can use english mustured paste
- 1 Tsp Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Medium pieces of Banana leaf
- For Decoration
- 2 pieces of Green Chillies
- Take blender jar put grated coconut and pre-blended mustard paste salt and a little water into it.
- Now blend all the ingredients in the blender jar.
- Take a bowl put fish pieces and pour all the blended mixture into the bowl. Coated all the fish pieces with the mixture.
- Now take banana leaves pieces put all the leaves into the perfect size and into it for just30 seconds so that banana leaves can and pour and can fold easily.
- After then place all the fish pieces along with the mixture in the banana leaf and fold the banana leaf just like a parcel.
- Now seal the banana leaf parcel with any thread and sauteed them in very little oil from both sides over the low heat flame for at least for 10 minutes each side.
- After sauteed process complete serve the dish with hot steamed white boiled rice.
To know the recipe for
Goan style yellow Fish curry
My valuable visitors, you can follow my website recipes and updates also on many social networks like Facebook, Google+. Instagram, Twitter
DO YOU LIKE THIS HILSA FISH PATURI RECIPE? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENT BOX