Authentic Chettinad chicken gravy or curry is a famous Indian curry dish with Chicken. It’s a very flavourful curry dish from the southern part of India. This recipe is originated from Chettinad region which is a small region located in Tamilnadu, India. Chettinad region is known for its salt and spice trades, which influence is reflected in its cuisine. Chettinad region has their Food cuisine called Chettinad Cusine.
Is the Authentic Chettinad chicken gravy so spicy in Tastes?
This is a bit of spicy chicken curry. This recipe is made by almost every Indian once in their life. So you can understand easily that This chicken curry dish is how much popular in India. This recipe is easily available in local Chettinad restaurants as well as all over In Indian food Resturants. Though so many Indian restaurants are making the dish chicken Chettinad curry.
But most of the time I found all are so spicy but not flavourful like the authentic Chettinad chicken curry actually tastes. The all non-Chettinad food restaurants chicken curry tastes the same as their other chicken curry dishes. I make the Chettinad chicken curry in so simple way so that anyone can make it at his or her own. And as I know many people don’t like so spicy and Hot curries, I made the recipe flavourful in an Authentic way. Though My Chettinad chicken curry recipe a little spicy but not will burn the mouth for sure.
How I make this Chicken Chettinad curry in so Authentic way
I make this chicken curry as much traditional as I can with the help of my so special Homemade Chicken Chettinad curry powder or masala-mix/podi. Which I got from one of my Friend’s building owner who is a Chettiar or a person from the Chettinad region. She shared with my friend her mothers chicken Chettinad curry powder recipe which is The must have Ingredient to make an authentic Chettinad chicken curry. And also she shares the authentic way to make the local Chettinad chicken curry recipe.
Why am I making this spicy Chettinad chicken curry?
As I am an Indian I like the spicy flavourful dish like all other Indians. The spiciness of the Chettinad curry dish and the sweetness of coconut makes this curry dish unique from the tastes side. And the Red or orangish red colour of the dish gives it the perfect Indian curry looks. All the way the curry looks so delicious. Just you need to know the right way to serve the dish. This dish is preferable to eat with hot steamed white Rice only( you can eat the curry with Brown rice also). If anyone doesn’t like to eat rice they can serve the dish with any kind of flat bread also. But This curry extremely goes perfectly with steamed white Rice.
This curry is so easy to make.
Basic Indian spices need to make the curry only.
The basic Indian spices used in this curry found in all Indian stores around the world.
My family love to eat chicken curry with steamed rice and they like spicy food much.
From all sides, this curry dish is perfect for our appetite.so I made the dish for my family as for Sunday lunch.
If you are a spicy food lover hope you will make this spicy curry for your family on any Sunday
If You have any Recipe Request Or any suggestion Please let me know in the comment box.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 500 Grams Chicken with bone
- 1 Tbsp Onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Crushed
- 1 Tsp Ginger crushed
- 1 Big Tomato chopped
- 2 Tblsp Any Vegetable oil/I used extra lite olive oil
- 2 Tblsp Homemade Chettinad masala
- 1 Cup Coconut milk
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Salt Or as per your taste
- 1 Pinch Sugar
- For Tempering
- 10 piece Curry leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Indian black mustard seeds
- Heat a deep pan or wok.
- Put oil in it and make it hot too.
- Sear all the chicken pieces and keep aside those in a separate bowl.
- Then put curry leaves & Indian black mustard seeds first into the same pan/wok on the remaining oil.
- And then very quickly add chopped onion and tomato chopped.
- Fry onions and tomatoes for 2 mins or until onion and tomatoes get softer.
- After 2 mins add crushed ginger and garlic and Chettinad masala.
- Now fry all the ingredients for 5 mins with water.
- Then after 5 mins add chicken pieces to the pan/wok.
- Mix all the chicken pieces with spices very well and now cover the pan with a lid for another 5 mins in very low gas flame.
- After 5 mins uncover the pan/wok and put salt sugar and coconut milk into it.
- Again cover the pan/wok with the lid for 5 mins in very low gas flame.
- After 5 mins uncover the pan/wok and chicken Chettinad will be ready to serve.
- Serve this wonderful dish with hot steamed rice or Roti chapatis or with plain Parathas/Naans.
Always sear the meat pieces before cooking. Then after cooking meat pieces will be softer and Tender.
To Know about The Recipe for
Chettinad Masala Powder
My valuable visitors, you can follow my website recipes and updates also on many social networks like Facebook, Google+ .Instagram, Tumblr
DO YOU LIKE THIS AUTHENTIC CHETTINAD CHICKEN CURRY INDIAN RECIPE? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENT BOX