The Most Delicious Ethiopian Traditional Food is a chicken stew “DORO WOT”.This dish is popular among us as Doro Wat. This is a popular dish on almost every menu card in an Ethiopian restaurant and probably hard to find any Ethiopian who is not familiar with this dish. This is a chicken stew prepared by the slow cooking process with a very fragrant spice blend. So whenever you are in Ethiopia, this is a must try dish for you. I can say this is the gateway to the Ethiopian cuisine. The dish is also known as “Tsebhi Dorho” in the neighbouring country Eritrea.
Why is DORO WAT a Most Popular Ethiopian traditional food?
As a national dish, the Doro Wat dish is very popular among the Ethiopians. In Ethiopia, this dish is served with a traditional Ethiopian flatbread called “Injera”. Injera is nothing but a kind of spongy pancake. Traditionally this bread made with teff flour. Teff flour is a native grain in the African regions. The batter made from this is kept for few days( 3 to 4 days)for fermentation before use to prepare the bread. The dish is served on this bread in such a way that the bread seems to be a serving plate.
By virtue, this “Doro Wat” dish is prepared very hot and spicy. Hence the non-Ethiopian versions are also spicy and hot but quite insipid compared to the traditional one. This ‘Doro Wot or Wat’ is also a famous dish to enjoy a holiday “Hanukkah”. To make this dish is easy without any hurdle at home follow my procedure.
The True Secret Behind a Great Taste of Ethiopian Chicken Stew DORO WAT Recipe
The use of authentic berbere spice blend is the true secret behind the mouthwatering taste of the Doro Wat dish. And a slow cooking process. Berbere spice blend is a mix of whole spices with some other powder spices. You can make this blend on your own as all the key spices are very common and easily available in the market. else you may go for the ready one.
But would suggest preparing at home to get the actual taste of the dish. You may check my another article on “Berbere” spice blend to prepare at home. As this barber spice blend today I make, particularly for Doro Wat Dish. But you can use the spice for seasoning of meat, fish, vegetables for other recipes also. In a word, it’s an all-purpose spice. This dish may take long times or hours to prepare an authentic Doro Wat to an Ethiopian. Actually, Ethiopians use plenty of onions in this dish. They use onions as the base ingredient to prepare the dish which enhances it’s flavour more. Slow cooking of onions adds a height of taste to the dish. The caramelized onion gives a bounce to the taste. But its worth time taking considering the taste and flavour come from the spices due to the long cooking process.
So once you get ready with your Berbere spice blend and injera bread, you can start the cooking of Tastiest Ethiopian chicken dish Doro Wat. Though it’s a chicken curry kind of dish but Ethiopians also cooks eggs along with the chicken. Maybe for look the dish good. Therefore boiled a few eggs and make them ready for use in the recipe. not to forget to pierce all the eggs all around so that it can absorb the spices while cooking.
If You have any Recipe Request.Or any suggestion Please let me know in the comment box.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 500 Grams Fresh chicken pieces with bone
- 250 Grams Finely chopped Onion
- 2 Tsp(9 Grams) Finely chopped Garlic
- 1 Tsp(5 Grams) Finely chopped Ginger Root
- 3 Tbsp (45 Grams) Homemade Berbere Spice blend
- 2 Pod Crushed Black cardamom
- 4 Piece Fresh lime
- 1/2 Cup Extra lite olive oil OR any oil your choice
- 1 Tbsp (14.3 Grams) Ethiopian spice butter Kebbeh OR YOU CAN SIMPLY USE INDIAN CLARIFIED BUTTER/GHEE
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper powder/Ground Black pepper
- 1 Tsp(5 Grams) Salt OR SALT AS PER YOUR TASTE
- 4 Hard Boiled Peeled eggs
- Take a big soup pot. Make the pot heat enough.
- Put 250 Grams of chopped onions into it and fry without any oil or water over the very low flame.
- Fry the Onions for 20 minutes but stare the onions between every 3 to 4 minutes. Don't allow the onions to stick to the bottom of the pan or burn.
- After 20 minuter when onions are so soft in texture just add 1/2 cups of oil,chopped garlic and ginger into the pot.
- Mix all the ingredients very well and cover the pan for 10 minutes and cook it again over the low heat.
- Just after 10 minutes add My Homemade berbere Spice blend(To know the berbere spice blend recipe is available in my site please visit the link below I mention) and crushed Big black cardamom pods to the pan. Mix well and cover the pot with a lid for another 10 minutes and again cook it in low flame.
- After 20 minutes add the chicken pieces, chicken eggs and salt. Mix very well with other ingredients in the pot. And then cover the pot for 20 minutes and cook it in low gas flame.
- Open the lid of the pot jut after 20 mintes when you will see all the oils is flothing inthe top and chicken eggs and chicken pieces are inthe bottom just mix all the ingredients gain and add the Ethiopian spice butter Kebbeh If you have or just add the same amount of Indian ghee/Clarifired butter.Mix well and turn off the gass.
- The Delicious Ethiopian Doro wat is ready to serve.Serve this wonderful dish with freshly made INJERA bread or Indian flat bread ROTI.
To Know The Recipe of
Berbere Recipe Ethiopian Spice Blend Easy & Authentic
My valuable visitors, you can follow my website recipes and updates also on many social networks like Facebook, Google +. Instagram,
DO YOU LIKE THIS ETHIOPIAN DORO WAT RECIPE? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENT BOX